Monday, May 16, 2011

PRAYER: Waking Tired Praying

On Mondays, I try to schedule fasting and prayer time for special situations and people I know. Today as I prayed for some of the ones who haven’t yet surrendered their lives to Christ, I listened to my own words. They sounded like the same old prayers I had prayed for these people last week and the week before. I couldn't help but wonder if my prayers for my lost loved ones had become tired. Did I really expect them to make a difference?
Had I just gotten used to the fact that I wouldn't see this sister or that nephew in heaven if Jesus came back today? Had my prayers for them lost their expediency?

St. Augustine is one who wrote much about the difference his mother, Monica, made in changing his life from one of extreme depravity. For years, she prayed daily for her son's soul.

Though Augustine lived from 354 to 430, surely Monica's prayers became tired as ours do now, when day after day nothing appeared to be happening. Her son was still lost. Her prayers still did not seem to make a difference. 

Then one morning dawned as all the others had before, only this time, she would see her prayers pay off. Augustine experienced what many have called "an immediate conversion," which when you think of the hundreds of prayers over the years that had been lifted up to God, wasn't so immediate. Augustine went on to become one of the greatest theologians in history.

Paul had a similar story in the Bible, though it wasn't his mother who did the praying. I often wonder, however, about all the Christians he persecuted through the years. I wonder if at least one of them took Paul on as their "project" to pray for and witness to. Whatever it took, it was Acts chapter 9 that tells about Paul's "immediate" conversion on the road to Damascus.

I just want to remind you to keep praying over the long-haul for that immediate conversion. Picture your unsaved loved one on fire for Jesus as you lift him or her up before the Father. When you're in church and the minister prays the corporate sinner's prayer, insert your loved one's name and thank God that you just may be praying for the next Augustine or Paul.

And above all, awaken your tired prayers. Find new ways to ignite your communion with your heavenly father on behalf of that one you love. It made the difference Augustine's life, and it will make a difference for you, too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment